If you have tooth decay, our dentist may recommend silver diamine fluoride to halt the spread of the cavities. We will carefully examine your teeth and mouth to determine if a silver diamine fluoride treatment is right for you. If you have any questions about silver diamine fluoride treatment in Tempe, Arizona, or if you want to schedule an appointment with Dr. Zena Alshukri, contact An Amazing Smile, PLLC today at 480-993-3696.
Silver diamine fluoride is an FDA-approved antimicrobial liquid used to help control and halt dental caries (cavities) and prevent any further progression of tooth decay. Our dentist may also recommend this treatment for individuals with hypersensitive teeth.
Silver diamine is made from two main ingredients — silver and fluoride. The silver in the solution acts as an antimicrobial agent to strengthen the underlying protective layer of your teeth, while the fluoride works to halt tooth decay and prevent further damage from occurring. Silver diamine fluoride may be recommended for:
- Children with severe early childhood caries
- Young children who have difficulty cooperating for treatment
- Special needs patients
- Children with carious lesions that cannot be treated in just one visit
- Elderly patients with root caries
Some benefits of silver diamine fluoride include:
- Quick, painless, noninvasive treatment
- Minimization of the amount of restorative work needed later
- Elimination of harmful pathogenic organisms
- Prevention of further cavities
- Almost immediate reduction in tooth sensitivity
- Hardening of dentin, making it more resistant to acid and abrasion
- Stain-free treatment for healthy dentin or enamel (though it will stain decayed tooth tissue)
We invite you to call us today to schedule your appointment with our dentist and learn more about silver diamine fluoride. We look forward to helping you regain a healthy smile!